Right now with Will in School I do Family Home Evening by myself. Monday's are the busy day of the week for me, it has the most homework, we try and go to the library, scripture reading and FHE. Many times I hurry through all of these as fast as possible so the kids can get to bed at a decent time. Last night we were reading scriptures and we read a verse in Alma that said you should "envy not your brother". I asked the kids if they knew what envy meant. The boys thought it meant to be angry and Sam said it was jealousy. I explained to the kids that envy was wanting something that someone else has or gets to do and not being happy that they get something and you don't. I explained that we all look at things that other people have and think "I would like to have that" and that is OK, it becomes a sin when we dwell on it and if we can't be happy for those others who have that opportunity or item.
We went on reading a few more verses and I looked over at Ashlee and saw that she was sobbing. I asked her what was wrong and finally got out of her that at school there was a girl who got to do something that Ashlee wanted to do. Ashlee said that she was really mad that this other girl had something that she wanted. She then looked at me and said " Mom I sinned" the Mom in me wanted to take her in my arms and say no you did not, you are fine. Instead, I looked at her and said " you are right, so what you need to do now is ask Heavenly Father for forgivness and then ask him to help you to not envy other people. To learn to be happy for the opporutnites that others get while still striving for opportunities for yourself." She was much calmer after this.
I have been struck by the overwhelming feeling of the spirit in my home since last night. How proud I am of my 9 year old daughter who was touched by the spirit and recognized something that she had done wrong. How grateful I am for the spirit and the way Heavenly Father helps us raise these beautiful children of His.
Good job Mom! Great story.
ReplyDeleteSo awesome!
ReplyDeleteI just have to tell you that Ashlee is absolutely amazing. Most of the girls are anxious to get through the lesson part of Activity Days so we can move on to the "fun stuff". Ashlee on the other hand really seems to absorb what we're talking about, makes coments, and asks questions. When we did our last activity about missionary work she turned around and promptly asked an inactive girl in our group to come to church with her. She really is a mature and beautiful girl. You've done a fantastic job with her! I'm so glad she's part of our group :).
ReplyDeleteAwww....sweet little Ashlee. Sounds like a great FHE. We need to be better at that at our house.
ReplyDelete